Date: 24th April 2009 at 11:48pm
Written by:

Champions Leicester finally got their hands on the League One trophy, but only after being held to a 2-2 draw by plucky Scunthorpe at the Walkers Stadium.

Two goals from centre back Michael Morrison, one in each half, first put the Foxes in the lead, with the second drawing Nigel Pearson’s side level after goals from Paul Hayes and Grant McCann had put Scunthorpe ahead in the second half.

Tonight’s match meant little to the Foxes in terms of points at stake, but to Scunthorpe, a playoff place was very much to there to play for.

Pearson made three changes to the side which clinched the title last week at Southend, veterans Marc Edworthy and Chris Powell replacing Wayne Brown and Joe Mattock respectively in the full back positions, whilst Steve Howard returned from illness at the expense of Paul Dickov.

The Walkers was in a jubliant mood given the confirmation of promotion, but it was Scunthorpe’s top-goalscorer Gary Hooper who had the game’s first chance in front of the sell-out crowd. Hooper beat the offside trap but his second touch was poor, allowing Leicester goalkeeper David Stockdale to avert the danger.

However, Leicester soon began to take more control over proceedings and almost took the lead themselves when Fryatt fired across goal, only to be thwarted by Joe Murphy in the Scunthorpe goal.

It wasn’t long before the Foxes had the lead in the 16th minute. Max Gradel’s corner was scrambled through to centre back Michael Morrison for a comfortable finish into the back of the net.


Morrison’s goal provided Leicester with the momentum to ease through the first half, and they came close again through Max Gradel’s free-kick, saved by Murphy once again.

Leicester should have been ahead on the stroke of half-time when Fryatt rounded the goalkeeper, only to shoot straight at the covering defender on the line. The resulting deflection fell to Lloyd Dyer, who could only fire onto the bar to maintain the Foxes’ lead going in at the break.


Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins was forced into a change at half-time, as Hooper was replaced by on-loan Arsenal striker Henri Lansbury.

And play-off chasing Irons were the team to come quickest out of the traps in the second half as they piled early pressure onto the City backline. An early corner was headed wide as Scunthorpe pushed for the equaliser.

They came close with ten minutes of the half played through Grant McCann’s free-kick, but the ball was curled over the crossbar for a goal-kick.

However, the visitors did equalise shortly after. Paul Hayes’ brilliant first touch from Sparrow’s cross allowed the striker to turn and shoot into the bottom corner.


Scunthorpe continued to push as Leicester struggled to find any resistance in reply to the goal. McCann shot over as Nigel Adkins’ team looked for a second.

Nigel Pearson made a double change in the 63rd minute when Marc Edworthy and Chris Powell, both probably playing their final games for the club, were replaced by Bruno Berner and Astrit Ajdarevic respectively.

Berner’s first contribution to the match was to bring down Hayes in the penalty area to hand Scunthorpe the opportunity of a second goal. McCann made no mistake as he smashed home the penalty, much to the jubilation of Scunthorpe’s travelling support.


Admittedly, Scunthorpe looked good for their lead, as Leicester’s comfortable first half was overshadowed by a shaky second.

That said, the Foxes equalised ten minutes later with a second from Morrison. Another set piece, this time a free-kick from captain Matt Oakley, found its way to the centre back who looped the ball over Murphy to draw Leicester level.


There was little to follow the goal as neither side found a way of getting close to a third. Both defences managed to hold firm to see the points shared, a vital point which sees Scunthorpe leapfrog Tranmere into the final playoff place with two games to play.

You could sense that the match was not what the fans really came to witness, as Leicester were handed their League One crown to send the fans home happy along with the expectations of a successful season back in the Championship.

Leicester: Stockdale, Edworthy (Berner 63), Oakley (c), Howard, Dyer, Fryatt, Morrison, Gradel (Dickov 79), King, Hobbs, Powell (Ajdarevic 63)

Substitutes Not Used: Mattock, Warner

Scunthorpe: Murphy, Byrne (c), Wright (Mills 9), Pearce, Mirfin (Togwell 88), Woolford, McCann, Sparrow, Trotter, Hayes, Hooper (Lansbury 45)

Substitutes Not Used : Lillis, May,

Referee: M Haywood (West Yorkshire)


3 Replies to “Leicester 2-2 Scunthorpe”

  • Good report JBfox…didn’t see the match but reading this puts me at the game almost ….sounds like you were lucky to escape with a point but I suppose the crown made up for it.

  • any point is a good one, but to be fair to those in the mix for promotion playoff and relegation, Leicester should make very effort to win every game.

Comments are closed.