Date: 4th February 2009 at 12:48pm
Written by:

A dazzling performance from Leicester saw them outclass a helpless Walsall side as they ran out deserved winners to maintain their 10 point advantage at the top of League One.

Goals from Matty Fryatt, Andy King, Tom Cleverley and Steve Howard gave the Foxes a 4-1 win, much to the delight of manager Nigel Pearson.

Pearson stuck with the same side which squeezed past Northampton at the weekend, continuing with the ever-presnt strike force of Steve Howard and Matty Fryatt up front.

Leicester began the game strongly, and forced a corner through Tom Cleverley after just 20 seconds of the match. The first attempt of the match came from Steve Howard, but his weak effort was saved comfortably by Clayton Ince in the Walsall goal.

It was only a matter of time before the first goal came, and it was no surprise to see the visitors take the lead after 12 minutes. Matt Oakley’s corner was flicked on by Jack Hobbs, before Fryatt reacted quickest to head home his 25th goal of the season.

Leicester almost doubled their advantage after 28 minutes when Clayton Ince pulled off a fine save to deny Andy King after an impressive Leicester move.

A moment of magic from Matty Fryatt almost produced a second goal, when his turn and volley (yes, almost reminiscent of that Van Basten goal) flashed agonisingly past goal.

However, the Foxes did double their lead after 34 minutes. Steve Howard’s exquisite chip over the Walsall defence found Andy King, who turned inside his man before firing low past Ince.

Walsall’s first chance of the game came just before half-time when Dwayne Mattis’ shot from th edge of the area was dealt with comfortably by David Martin.

The second half began, and it was clear to see that Walsall were there for the taking, Leicester continuing to attack the hosts from the off.

It was the Foxes who trebled their lead after 47 minutes when Cleverley linked up well with Fryatt before cooly finishing into the bottom corner past Ince.

It didn’t stop there. Steve Howard grabbed Leicester’s fourth five minutes later when he beat the Walsall ‘keeper for the fourth time, on this occassion finishing from a tight angle after his initial effort was saved.

The fourth sparked a new life into Walsall, who finally came out of the blocks to put some pressure on the Foxes. They first came close through a Troy Deeney header, before finally grabbing a consolation goal six minutes later.

A free-kick from the right hand side was not dealt with by the Leicester defence, allowing Dwayne Mattis to side-foot home in the 64th minute.

Walsall continued to press and came close once again through Richard Taundry, but his curling short sailed over Martin’s goal.

Leicester tried to push for a 5th, and nearly got it when a clever corner for the Foxes allowed Cleverley to get a shot away, but the resulting effort was blocked away.

As Pearson tried to see out the rest of the game, Bruno Berner and recent loan signing Wayne Brown were introduced, replacing Kerrea Gilbert and Lloyd Dyer.

A final Leicester corner from Matt Oakley caused problems for Walsall, but Andy King’s shot dropped narrowly over the bar.

It was a fine performance from the Foxes last night, one for both fans and manager alike to be proud of, as Leicester scored four goals in a match for the fourth time this season in League One.

The win sees Leicester sustain the 10 point advantage at the top of League One, ahead of MK Dons who also won last night.


3 Replies to “Walsall 1-4 Leicester”

Comments are closed.