Date: 15th November 2008 at 11:32pm
Written by: Joe

Leicester threw away the chance to jump straight back to the top of League One as Swindon came back from two goals down to snatch a point at the County Ground.

Leicester had found themselves beginning the day in 2nd place after Scunthorpe United’s win yesterday evening, and were looking to record another victory after Tuesday’s victory over Yeovil Town. Manager Nigel Pearson decided to go with an unchange lineup for the game in the hope of securing the three points.

The first half was altogether a blustery affair, with the wind playing havoc for both teams. However it was Swindon who started the brightest when Lee Peacock saw his header flash over after just two minutes. Leicester followed up with two chances of their own; firstly Swindon goalkeeper Paul Smith saving well from Matt Oakley, and then Lloyd Dyer with a shot which ended up agonisingly wide of the post.

As the game went on, Swindon began to take the game by the horns and ultimately began creating Leicester problems at the back. Midfielder Michael Pook found himself in front of goal not once, but twice, but fortunately for Leicester failed to trouble Paul Henderson in goal for the Foxes.

Simon Cox produced the game’s greatest chance after 23 minutes when he beat the offside trap and found himself one on one with the Leicester goalkeeper. Cox dragged his shot horribly wide, surprising for a man who has been in such lethal form for the Robins so far this season.

Swindon thought they had taken the lead on 29 minutes when Pat Kenyuka appeared to bundle the ball over the line, but instead the midfielder found himself with a booking to his name, his effort judged to have been handled by referee Clive Penton.

Despite the pressure, Leicester could have found themselves a goal up at half-time when Lloyd Dyer shot from an acute angle only to find the side netting. The conditions had not helped Leicester in the opening period, and half-time was a welcome break following what had been a pressing half from Swindon.

The second half began much better for City as they pushed for the game’s first goal early on. Matty Fryatt saw an effort disallowed after a foul inside the area. Leicester midfielder Bruno Berner also recorded an attempt on goal, his effort pushed away for a corner by Smith.

It was Leicester who got their goal and duly went ahead in the 57th minute, when Matt Oakley burst into the penalty area and unleashed a perfect finish into the bottom corner.

The goal had inspired City to push for a second, and Fryatt came close from the edge of the area soon after. Steve Howard followed up with a close-range header from Marc Edworthy’s teasing cross, but ‘keeper Paul Smith saved comfortably in the end. Howard was booked minutes later, his fifth of the season, and will face a suspension for Saturday’s crucial game against Scunthorpe United.

Leicester’s pressure paid off in the 73rd minute when Matty Fryatt chased down a loose ball and beat the Swindon goalkeeper to finish into an empty net. Leicester’s 2,000 strong Blue Army celebrated, believing their side could see off the Swindon threat for 20 minutes.

Following their two goal lead, City decided to sit back and soak up the pressure that Swindon were now piling on. Former-fox Lilian Nalis shot at goalkeeper Paul Henderson before the inevitable happened, and striker Simon Cox poked in his 12th league goal of the season.

The momentum was well and truly in Swindon’s favour now, and their persistance towards Leicester’s floundering team paid off when substitute Barry Corr shot home in the 85th minute to hand Swindon a hard-fought point.

It was a sorry end to the match for Leicester, which marked the third time the team had surrendered a two goal lead in the league this season.

Player Ratings

Paul Henderson
Marc Edworthy
Aleksander Tunchev
Michael Morrison
Joe Mattock
Matt Oakley
Andy King
Bruno Berner
Lloyd Dyer
Matty Fryatt
Steve Howard
DJ Campbell

Manager Rating

Opponent Rating


3 Replies to “Swindon Town 2-2 Leicester City”

  • Credit has to go to Swindon for not giving up – Leicester remind me of us (QPR) when we were down there, just cannot put teams to bed!

  • He did miss a great chance early on which he should have buried. Other than that he had a quiet game but grabbed one of the vital goals at the end.

Comments are closed.