Date: 31st October 2009 at 7:16pm
Written by:

Two goals from Matty Fryatt ensured Leicester continued their dream start to the Championship season, as Radek Cerny’s error handed the Foxes all three points.

Adel Taarabt had earlier put QPR ahead in the first half, before Fryatt’s header four minutes later levelled the scoreline. Leicester’s top-goalscorer then hit his ninth league goal of the season midway through the second half to provide Leicester with all three points in front of the television cameras.

Manager Nigel Pearson made two changes from the side which struggled past Reading on Monday evening, bringing in Bruno Berner and Dany N’Guessan for Ryan McGivern and Paul Gallagher respectively.

Leicester surprised the home side from the off as they rubbished pre-match expectations of defensive football. The Foxes were attacking in numbers, and came close early on when Fryatt’s driven cross just eluded Martyn Waghorn.

QPR were determined to display just why they had scored twelve goals in their last three league matches, and both Wayne Routledge and Taarabt showed early signs of danger. Wayne Brown’s superb tackle to deny Taarabt’s mazy run was crucial in keeping the scoreline level.

Leicester thought they had the lead midway through the first period when Waghorn finished off Fryatt’s pass, but the assistant’s flag was already raised for offside.

At the other end QPR continued to provide cause for concern, as City goalkeeper Chris Weale was forced into a great save to deny Alejandro Faurlin. But Leicester’s efforts were cruelly broken in the 32nd minute when the home side took the lead.

Adel Taarabt took advantage of a fortunate loose ball from a Leicester tackle, guiding the ball home from the edge of the area to hand QPR the lead.

Leicester responded superbly to the setback however, and were level just four minutes later. Dany N’Guessan’s beautifully flighted ball from the left hand side was headed home by Fryatt to restore the scoreline, and give Leicester the goal they fully deserved.

The Foxes were clearly buoyed by their impressive first half performance, and came out in the second period in similar fashion. Both Waghorn and N’Guessan provided headed efforts, but neither found its way on target to trouble Cerny.

Rangers were still providing a stern test however, and were agonisingly close to restoring their lead when Akos Buzsaky’s powerful drive flew inches past the post.

Nigel Pearson’s side were reaping their rewards in the 63rd minute however, when QPR goalkeeper Radek Cerny’s woeful goal-kick found its way straight to the grateful Matty Fryatt, who made no mistake in finishing delightfully past the hapless Czech.

Leicester’s goal saw them attempt to contain Rangers thereon after, and their increasingly-defensive style made uncomfrtable vieiwing for half an hour. Weale was on hand once again to deny Routledge, taking a cut above the eye for his troubles in the process.

City were making life difficult for Rangers however, and did a sterling job of keeping Jim Magilton’s men at bay. There was a late scare deep into injury time when Richie Wellens conceded a free-kick in a dangerous position, but the resulting effort was poor.

Leicester hung on for their fully deserved three points, making it a third consecutive victory in the Championship. The win also saw the side briefly enter the division’s top two, where they were replaced earlier today by West Brom. The Foxes’ dream start to the season continues, as the Nigel Pearson revolution rumbles on.

Leicester: Weale, Neilson, Hobbs, Brown, Berner, Oakley, Wellens, King, N’Guessan, Waghorn (McGivern, 90), Fryatt (Gallagher, 75)

QPR: Cerny, Ramage (Vine, 66), Gorkss, Stewart (Hall, 54), Borrowdale, Routledge, Faurlin, Leigertwood, Buzsaky, Taarabt (Agyemang, 85), Simpson


One Reply to “QPR 1-2 Leicester”

Comments are closed.