Date: 7th February 2010 at 4:48pm
Written by:

Leicester secured their first away win since October with a 2-1 victory over a strong Blackpool side.

Going into the game winless in five in all competitions, the game was an important test of Leicester`s resolve in their fight for the play-offs, and it was a composed and accomplished performance which gave the fans the victory they had been waiting for.

Leicester started the game brightly, picking up from where they had left off against Newcastle the previous week, and pressured Blackpool. Martyn Waghorn and Dany N`Guessan playing wide of Matty Fryatt were causing plenty of problems for the Blackpool defence.

The first clear cut chance for Leicester came from quick thinking by Matt Oakley, whose instant throw-in set Fryatt free, but he ran into too narrow an angle, and his shot was easily beaten away for a corner by Matt Gilkes.

Blackpool came closest with Steven Dobbie, who shot from a tight angle and forced Chris Weale to make a superb save, tipping the ball onto the post, preventing a Blackpool lead.

But it was Leicester who got their noses in front. Waghorn`s brilliant defence-splitting pass from just inside his own half to N`Guessan gave the Frenchman the freedom of Blackpool to run into the box and strike the ball into the corner of the net, giving Leicester their first goal in over 300 minutes of league football.

The away team came so close soon after, Jack Hobbs failing to connect from a header which whistled across goal, with the back of the net gaping.

The lead could and should have been extended from a corner, which was knocked down on the goal-line, and a rasping shot Fryatt should have put the Foxes two up, but it was blocked on the line from point-blank range.

Blackpool pressured towards the end of the first half, but they couldn`t convert any of their possession into clear cut chances. Both the defence and Weale stayed solid.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first, with Blackpool pressure, coming close several times, and Weale continuing his great form and commanding his penalty area.

It was Weale who was forced to get down low and make a great save from a fierce drive outside the area from Dobbie again, preventing the equaliser.

Leicester extended their lead on the counter attack. With Blackpool piling on the pressure, Matty Fryatt led the counter attack, and with three City players piling forward in support, Fryatt carried the ball to the corner of the penalty area, before crossing to Lloyd Dyer. The winger adjusted his body to poke the ball into the net and double the lead, putting the home side to bed.

Blackpool finally got their goal five minutes from time, some great skill from Dobbie, giving himself room and a low shot from 20 yards nestled into the back of the net, setting up a tense finish.

In the five minutes of injury time, Charlie Adam raced into the penalty area, and fell under a challenge by N`Guessan. The referee booked Adam, despite ferocious protest from both Blackpool players and fans.

Leicester held on for the win, and tasted their first victory since January 3rd. The team move onto a big week, facing Doncaster and Scunthorpe at home, in two very winnable games, which could help cement Leicester`s place as real play-off contenders.