Date: 21st March 2010 at 6:22pm
Written by:

Leicester blew a two goal half-time lead to provide Coventry with their share of the spoils at the Walkers Stadium.

Andy King had put the Foxes two goals to the good inside the opening twenty minutes, but second half goals from James McPake and Gary Deegan handed the visitors a point on the afternoon.

Both teams were in good form coming into the game, and having not lost at home since December and firmly in the play-off places, Leicester were hopeful of continuing their rise up the table.

City started the game much the brighter, exerting early dominance over the Sky Blues. Just three minutes had been played when Leicester made the early breakthrough. Richie Wellens fed the ball to Lloyd Dyer, whose cut back across goal was cooly finished by Andy King.

The Foxes carried on their dominance, but Coventry gradually got themselves into the game and had their first chance after 14 minutes. A good move by the away side led to Clinton Morrision receiving the ball in the penalty area, and after holding up play, Sammy Clingan had an attempt on goal which was easily saved by Chris Weale.

But the lead was extended in controversial fashion soon after. A Martyn Waghorn corner found its way to Wellens, who found Paul Gallagher in space. The Scot’s cross was headed onto the bar at the near post by King, with the header bouncing down on the goal line. Confusion reigned, but the referee`s assistant ran to the half way line signalling that the ball had gone in, doubling Leicester`s lead over their rivals.

Replays of the incident suggest that the ball may have crossed the line completely, though different angles give a different interpretations of the event.

Soon afterwards Leicester almost got a third goal, firstly with a ball that fizzed across the six yard box, and then through Waghorn, who blazed his shot over the bar after great pressure from the Coventry defence.

From then on it was the away side who started to take the initiative, gaining plenty more possession without being able to create much with the ball. Leicester`s defence were yet again standing strong.

Coventry`s dominance continued into the second half, where they carried on pressuring and camping themselves in the Leicester half. Just 10 minutes into the second period their pressure paid after a cross from the right was finished off by James McPake, opening the door for the Sky Blues.

The pressure on the home defence was unrelenting, and it wasn`t helped by the introduction of Aron Gunnarson, whose Delap-esque throw-ins caused problems for Leicester.

On 78 minutes, Coventry came agonisingly close to a leveller from a free kick, with the initial shot from Morrison blocked by Jack Hobbs, and then a second shot from Richard Wood, which was somehow blocked and cleared off of the line by Nolberto Solano.

But less than 10 minutes later the persistence from Chris Coleman’s side yielded its rewards. After a mix-up in the Leicester defences, Morrison found the ball at his feet with the simple task of passing it across goal to Garry Deegan, who finished to make it 2-2. Replays suggest that Freddie Sears was offside during the build up.

Matt Oakely had a chance soon after the equaliser, but his shot was easily blocked by the on-rushing Kieren Westwood.

An exciting match eventually drew to a close, a fine first half display cancelled out by a strong fightback from Coventry.

It was City`s first game in a run which will see them play six matches in 15 days. Whilst letting a two-goal lead slip may be a downbeat start to the run, the point keeps Leicester in 4th place, still secure in the play-off race, with in-form Reading up next for the Foxes.