Date: 27th January 2010 at 11:43am
Written by:

Leicester extended their winless streak in the league to three games after crashing to a 1-0 defeat at Barnsley.

In a poor game with chances at a premium, it was the home team who took their chance, scoring with 13 minutes remaining in the game to condemn the Foxes to their third defeat in a row.

In a drab first half, neither team threatened significantly. Leicester started brightly in the opening minutes, and good build up play gave Matt Oakley the opportunity to shoot, but he blazed the ball over the bar.

Leicester`s main threat, Dany N`Guessan, had two chances in the closing stages of the first half, but the Barnsley defence easily dealt with both of his shots. N`Guessan did have the ball in the net, but his great finish from 10 yards was ruled out for offside.

City`s best chance came from a Paul Gallagher cross, Martyn Waghorn heading the ball over the bar with the goal gaping. Richie Wellens also had a chance, shooting from long range in injury time, but his shot was easily caught by Barnsley goalkeeper Luke Steele.

The second half picked up, and after a good start by Leicester, Barnsley began to exert their dominance, pressuring Leicester and pinning the away side into their own half. Barnsley should have taken the lead from a corner, with two shots being cleared off the line brilliantly by Wellens and Gallagher.

Barnsley came close twice more, Weale making a great stop from Adam Hammill, and then denying Iain Hume, with the aid of great pressure by the 40-year-old left back Chris Powell.

Nigel Pearson brought on Matty Fryatt and Steve Howard to try and make the breakthrough, replacinging Waghorn and Yann Kermogant, both of whom had been well under-par, but it made no difference as Barnsley piled forward.

The defence finally wilted, and in the 77th minute of the game the home side scored the decisive goal. A corner delivered in was cleared off of the goal-line by Wellens yet again, but this time the ball fell kindly to Tykes midfielder Hugo Colace, who hit the ball home from just two yards.

Barnsley looked like extending their lead, and Leicester were forced to defend several times as the front line looked for the cushion of a second goal.

A late Leicester rally wasn`t enough, having several corners, with Weale causing havoc for the Barnsley defence. There was also a good shout for a handball after Steven Foster clearly handled the ball above head height in the box, but nothing was given.

The final chance fell to Steve Howard, presented with the ball by Matty Fryatt, but his driven shot was wide of the mark.

After three consecutive away games, and three consecutive defeats, Leicester host Newcastle in a televised fixture, hoping to get back to winning ways after yet another below par performance. The team were yet again lacking in the ideas department and looking toothless up front.