Date: 20th January 2009 at 4:26pm
Written by:

Leicester moved seven points clear at the top of League One after a hard-fought 2-0 victory over struggling Yeovil at Huish Park last night.

Second half goals from Steve Howard and a first senior goal for Joe Mattock won the game on the night, as Leicester capitalised on MK Dons’ defeat at Carlisle on Saturday.

Manager Nigel Pearson made five changes to the side that lost to Crystal Palace in the F.A. cup last week, with Kerrea Gilbert, Michael Morrison, Mark Davies, Lloyd Dyer and Matty Fryatt replacing Marc Edworthy, Aleksander Tunchev, Joe Mattock, Max Gradel and Paul Dickov.

Leicester wasted no time in attacking the hosts early on, and created several good chances in the first few minutes of the match. Striker Matty Fryatt saw his effort fall over the bar within the opening minute.

The Foxes should have taken the lead soon after through captain Matt Oakley, but the midfielder somehow managed to miss a relatively open goal after Yeovil ‘keeper Josh Wagenaar had parried a Fryatt shot.

Lloyd Dyer had the chance to fire City ahead when he connected with Kerrea Gilbert’s ball in from the right, but the midfielder only managed to find the side netting.

Yeovil’s attacking threat came in the way of Daniel Schofield and Paul Warne, who both saw their efforts sail off target.

Mark Davies, on loan from Wolves, produced a brilliant run leaving the entire Yeovil midfield in his wake, before forcing a fine save out of Wagenaar for a Leicester corner.

Leicester continued their hunt for a goal and came close yet again, this time through Howard, but the big striker could only direct his header over the bar.

Former Leicester player Andy Welsh’s darting run on the stroke of half-time caused problems for the Leicester defence, but the final product resulted in a comfortable catch for Martin in the Leicester goal.

As a result it remained goalless at half-time despite Leicester’s best efforts to find the back of the net.

Kerrea Gilbert’s timely block to deny Craig Alcock prevented the home side from taking an early lead in the second half, Yeovil having to settle for a corner.

However, it was Leicester who finally took the lead deservedly after 56 minutes. Fine play on the right from Mark Davies allowed Steve Howard to strike the ball home via a substantial deflection from Nathan Smith.

Top-goalscorer Matty Fryatt could have doubled the Foxes’ lead five minutes later, but the striker could only head over from Matt Oakley’s free-kick.

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson made his first change of the game after 66 minutes when Joe Mattock replaced Lloyd Dyer, before new loan signing Tom Cleverley replaced Fryatt with five minutes remaining.

It was the two substitutes who linked up to produce Leicester’s second goal of the game. Cleverley fed the ball to Mattock on the edge of the box, before the left midfielder cut inside to slot the ball past Wagenaar and seal the win.

Steve Howard could have added insult to injury for Yeovil with moments left of the game, but his powerful header was directed wide.

The result leaves Leicester in a healthy position at the top of League One, seven points clear ahead of MK Dons.

Leicester: Martin, Gilbert, Hobbs, Morrison, Berner, Oakley, King, Davies, Dyer (Mattock 66), Howard, Fryatt (Cleverley 85).

Subs not used: Pentney (gk), Chambers, Dickov.

Yeovil: Wagenaar, Forbes, Welsh, Schofield, Alcock, Warne (McCollin 74), Rogers, Roberts (Muragh 11), Downes, Brown, Smith.

Subs not used: Jones, Tomlin, Street.

Att: 4,569 (779 away)