Date: 21st February 2010 at 10:40am
Written by:

Leicester City will count themselves lucky to escape from Devon with a point after a 1-1 draw with Plymouth Argyle.

The Foxes went into the game unbeaten in five, and after salvaging a draw in the 90th minute on Tuesday, were hoping to beat the struggling Janners.

With the sun shining, it was a pleasant winter`s day that greeted the away fans, but the infamous Home Park pitch showed its true colours, cutting up from the warm-up onwards.

Keeping an unchanged team for the third game running, Leicester actually started the game brighter, nearly scoring early and getting the lead, but Lloyd Dyer’s pass across the face of goal was not converted.

Hitting Argyle on the counter attack, Dyer was instrumental in creating an agonisingly close chance, sprinting down the right wing, cutting inside only to see his shot bobble past the keeper and hit the far post. The goal was gaping for Waghorn to head home, but the ball simply wouldnt fall right for him.

Not long afterwards, Plymouth’s defence, which had been looking shaky, finally imploded. A long ball pumped downfield ran safely to Kari Arnason, who, thinking that his goalkeeper was covering the goal, proceeded to pass the ball straight into his own net with David Stockdale helpless.

The lead was almost doubled soon after. Dyer robbed Rede Johnson after a hopeless piece of defending, but his shot whistled across the face of goal.

The away side were made to pay, and it wasn’t long before Plymouth equalised against the run of play. Craig Noone leapt highest for a cross from the right, and his header hit the net to square the match.

As the first half came to a close, neither team had been up to par, but Leicester could count themselves unlucky to be level, having had most of the play. Though that was to change dramatically in the second period.

Leicester, however, had the first chance of the second half, with Paul Gallagher`s shot from 12 years being blocked. From here on the game swung very much in favour of Argyle.

Plymouth took control, but for most of the second half the game was quiet, with few chances on goal. Ten minutes from the end, substitute Joe Mason, who was causing the Leicester defence problems, shot from 20 yards, forcing an excellent save out of Chris Weale.

Leicester were riding their luck and inviting plenty of Pilgrims pressure. In the final five minutes, Kenny Cooper struck a goal bound effort which was saved by the brilliant Weale, the rebound fell to Carl Feltcher, but Jack Hobbs saved the away side with a fantastic goal line clearance.

At the end of the game, despite both teams having chances and dominating, a point was a fair result, though Plymouth will feel unfortunate not to have grabbed the win. Leicester manager Nigel Pearson pin-pointed the pitch as one of the problems, describing it as a ‘cow field.`

The Foxes will move onto face Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday night in one of their two games in hand, hopeful of cementing their currently precarious position in the play-offs.


One Reply to “Plymouth 1-1 Leicester”

Comments are closed.