Date: 28th March 2009 at 8:04pm
Written by:

So, it looks like we’re going to do things the hard way. This team are determined to put us all through the motions; it just wouldn’t be very Leicester-like otherwise.

In a nutshell, were were outplayed, outclassed and deserved everything we got today, which all in all was absolutely nothing. It’s going to be a nervous run in with 6 games remaining, with Peterborough sure to push us all the way to the end.

The Posh were still smarting from the 4-0 drubbing they received when they came to the Walkers in December, and they duly got their revenge today at London Road.

The first half was altogether a tight affair in the blustery conditions, with both sides relatively successful in cancelling each other out.

The weather was creating a rather scrappy game, with neither side able to test the opposite goalkeeper for much of the first 20 minutes. The match’s first real chance fell to Leicester’s Lloyd Dyer, who fired wide of Joe Lewis’ goal after 22 minutes.

The Foxes were becoming frustrated, and duly received two bookings within five minutes; the first falling to Bruno Berner after a challenge on Charlie Lee, and the second handed out to goalkeeper Tony Warner for taking a free-kick from an incorrect position.

Premiership referee Chris Foy certainly won’t be on Leicester fans’ Christmas card list after handing Peterborough several questionable decisions throughout the course of the game.

Chances were still few and far between as Lee was booked for bringing down Fryatt. Matt Oakley found himself with Leicester’s best chance of the remainder of the first half; this being a shot wide from the edge of the area.

The weather conditions worsened as the rain and hail fell down upon London Road, and Peterborough’s opening goal came typically along with the weather for Leicester’s travelling support after 44 minutes.

An individual moment of class from Lee saw him jink inside two Leicester players before firing past Warner into the corner to hand the home side the lead.


The previously mute home crowd suddenly found voice with a minute of the half remaining, receiving the standard ‘you only sing when you’re winning’ response from the away support.


It was Peterborough who started off the better of the two sides, winning a succession of corners early on in the half as the rain continued to fall.

The lively Craig Mackail-Smith found himself with a shooting opportunity after gliding past Kisnorbo, but fired wide from the angle.

The 62nd minute saw the first change of the game for Nigel Pearson as Barry Hayles was introduced, replacing Bruno Berner.

Hayles’ introduction was followed up by Leicester’s best chance of the game when a lovely interchanging move from Fryatt and Dickov allowed the former in on goal, only to be denied by a fine Peterborough challenge.

This was all the league leaders offered in the way of threat as the absence of Steve Howard through suspension was clearly being felt, particularly by Fryatt up front.

Peterborough fans thought their side had doubled their lead through Mackail-Smith, but the striker could only poke his shot wide after beating Warner to the loose ball.

Posh manager Darren Ferguson was sent to the stands by Chris Foy for dissent in the 67th minute, despite the attempted interventions of Leicester manager Nigel Pearson.

More pressure from the home side followed as Warner had to be at his best to deny Aaron Mclean’s bullet header from a corner after 70 minutes. Leicester’s Barry Hayles followed up with a header over from Max Gradel’s inch-perfect cross.

Peterborough came close once again, as Yeates’ powerful free-kick was saved onto the bar by Warner to deny the home side from doubling their lead.

However, Leicester’s resistance proved futile with 10 minutes remaining. Brilliant work from Mackail-Smith saw the striker control the ball beautifully before leaving Hobbs for dead and delivering the ball across for Chris Whelpdale to fire home past Warner. Game over.


There was nothing more than a whimper of a response from Leicester as Kisnorbo first headed wide from a Nicky Adams corner, before Adams himself fired miserably over to sum up the day for Pearson’s men.


Peterborough fully deserved their win, proving their value for promotion from League One this season. Who knows whether or not they can tip the Foxes off of top spot in time for the season’s end?

As for Leicester, a win next weekend at home to struggling Carlisle is vital, not only for points but for confidence. The team have faced a struggle in the last quarter of the season, but ultimately the ability is there to see it out to the end. It would still take one almighty failure for us not to join the Championship next season, but nothing should be taken for granted at this stage.

Leicester: Warner, Gilbert, Kisnorbo, Hobbs, Mattock, Gradel, Berner (Hayles 62), Oakley, Dyer (Adams 72), Fryatt, Dickov.

Subs not used: Stockdale, Morrison, Brown.

Yellow: Berner, Warner, Gradel, Hayles.

Peterborough: Lewis, Martin (c), Lee, Mclean, Boyd, Keats, Mackail-Smith (Batt), Coutts, Whelpdale, Williams, Zakuani.

Subs not used: Blackett, Westwood, McKeown, Torres.

Yellow: Lee

Att: 14110 (4054 Leicester)

Referee: C Foy


4 Replies to “Peterborough 2-0 Leicester”

Comments are closed.