Date: 10th April 2010 at 11:21pm
Written by:

Andy King’s second half winner sent Leicester on their way to a second victory in succession, strengthening the grip on their play-off place in the process.

Steve Howard had put City ahead with five minutes of the first half remaining when his fine strike from the edge of the area found the net, but Posh hit back midway through the second through winger Tommy Rowe.

And it was King who bundled home a quick equaliser to hand Nigel Pearson’s men all three points and increase their play-off lead to four points.

Pearson kept faith with the same side which walked away as 4-0 winners over QPR on Monday, retaining Jay Spearing in midfield at the expense of Matt Oakley.


Morrison — Hobbs — Brown — Berner

Spearing — Wellens — King — Gallagher

Howard — Waghorn

On a beautiful day in Cambridgeshire it was Leicester who began the game brightest, taking control of possession early in the game against Gary Johnson’s relegated side.

But for all their work with the ball there was distinctly little to show for it, as goalkeeper Joe Lewis was barely tested in the opening stages of the match.

Paul Gallagher perhaps came closest for City in the early exchanges, his volley from the edge of the area dropping over the crossbar to safety.

Posh winger Sergio Torres was energetic throughout most of the game, and tested Chris Weale with an effort after cutting in from the right.

The home side came closest to opening the scoring soon afterwards when defender Chris Morgan saw his goal-bound header hacked off the line by Richie Wellens after pressure from a corner.

But after barely threatening goal for the majority of the first period, Leicester took the lead with five minutes of it remaining. Richie Wellens gathered the ball in midfield before releasing Howard along the right, who cut inside before finishing perfectly into the bottom corner.

It was perhaps a slightly fortuitous lead going into the break, but Leicester proved that the rewards will be reaped if you can take your chances.

The second half kicked off in much the same fashion as the first, a quiet exchange between two sides who didn’t look like scoring at either end of the pitch.

Posh manager Gary Johnson introduced Ben Wright on the hour mark, the substitute having an immediate effect as his ball through gave Tommy Rowe the task of cooly slotting home to equalise for the home side.

But the lead lasted just three minutes. Paul Gallagher’s cross from the left was knocked down by James Vaughan inside the area for Andy King to bundle home at the back post. Once again it seemingly came from nowhere, but Leicester’s travelling horde on the terrace certainly didn’t care.

Goalkeeper Chris Weale was on hand soon after to maintain City’s lead when he rushed to the feet of Craig Mackail-Smith to deny the Posh striker.

The final exchanges were played out with little occuring of any note, Leicester happy to sustain control to secure the win that takes them up one place in the table to 5th.

The victory also restores City’s four point cushion in the play-offs after Blackpool’s crushing 4-1 defeat at Newcastle on the afternoon.

It may not have been the attacking performance that many had hoped for, but take your chances and that’s what you get.