Date: 2nd May 2010 at 6:55pm
Written by:

Leicester recorded their fifth successive victory to maintain their impressive run of form ahead of next weekend’s crucial play-off semi-final first leg with Cardiff.

Goals from Yann Kermorgant and Richie Wellens were enough to provide Nigel Pearson’s side with all three points on the afternoon, with goalkeeper Conrad Logan saving a penalty after the break with City leading to cap off a fine performance from the Irishman.

There was also the long-awaited return to first-team action of Matty Fryatt, previously out since February after suffering a broken jaw. His return provides Pearson with another welcome option up front ahead of what could be a huge month for the club.

The victory means that the Foxes go into the play-off battle as the form team, with no other side matching City’s recent achievements in the final run-in.

Pearson rung the changes ahead of the game as Conrad Logan, Nobby Solano, Alex Bruce, Ryan McGivern, Dany N’Guessan and Yann Kermorgant were all handed rare starting berths.

And it was Kermorgant who scored his first goal for the club after 41 minutes, in some style. The Frenchman gathered the ball in midfield before cutting in from the left to deliver an exquisite shot into the corner to leave ‘Boro goalkeeper Brad Jones helpless.

Fryatt was introduced in the 57th minute to a rapturous ovation, the Walkers faithful delighted to see their man back in action after a prolonged period out through injury.

Conrad Logan was proving his worth in goal despite making only a handful of appearances this season, making impressive saves from both Jeremie Aliadiere and Justin Hoyte.

But the Irishman saved his best moment to save striker Chris Killen’s penalty after Richie Wellens was adjudged to have handled inside the area.

The win was wrapped up for the Foxes with around five minutes of normal time remaining when substitute Lloyd Dyer was brought down inside the area for a penalty. Richie Wellens did what Killen couldn’t and stepped up to double the lead for his first goal for the club on his 400th career league appearance.

The win puts City in perfect stead for the upcoming play-off battle where Cardiff City await over two legs. The two sides finished level on points following the Bluebirds’ defeat today, but a superior goal difference hands Dave Jones’ side the home advantage in the second leg a week on Wednesday.