Date: 14th February 2009 at 6:55pm
Written by:

Andy King’s late goal rescued Leicester from the clutches of defeat as the team extended their unbeaten run to 18 games in League One.

Simon Cox’s 38th minute goal had put the visitors ahead in the first half, but it wasn’t enough to earn Swindon the three points they probably deserved from the match.

It was a point the Foxes were made to sweat for as they came under great pressure at times from Swindon, the dangerous Cox always looking menacing in front of goal.

Manager Nigel Pearson kept faith with the same team for the fourth successive game, which meant Joe Mattock keeping the left back spot after representing England Under-21’s midweek.

Leicester began the game the better of the two teams and it was top-goalscorer Matty Fryatt who was alert to almost latch onto a poor backpass from Michale Timlin, the danger dealt with by goalkeeper Petr Brezovan.

Fryatt was almost in once again after he tried to take advantage of Steve Howard’s blocked effort, but the striker was thwarted in his tracks by Greer.

However, Swindon fought back to forge a chance through Simon Cox, but his effort was well blocked by Andy King on the edge of the Leicester penalty area.

There was some encouragement for Pearson from his Leicester side soon after with tidy play from Lloyd Dyer and Steve Howard; unfortunately ending with the striker dragging his shot wide.

Swindon began to place a bit of authority on the game as the 20 minute mark was reached, and caused problems in the Leicester penalty area with a free-kick. Michael Timlin’s set-piece found its way to Kevin Amankwaah , but his effort was gratefully saved by David Martin.

Swindon had their goalkeeper to thank in the 27th minute when Brezovan reacted superbly to deny Andy King after the ball dropped to the midfielder from Matt Oakley’s corner.

The Foxes did have the ball in the net in the 34th minute, but the referee had already blown for a free-kick against the home side by the time Fryatt out the ball into the net.

There were firm shouts for a backpass from the travelling away support moments later when Kerrea Gilbert tackled back to his goalkeeper, but Swindon’s protests were waved away.

However it mattered not as the visitors took the lead in the 38th minute. Hal Robson-Kanu’s ball over the top of the Leicester defence was chased down by Cox whose pace was far too great for Hobbs and Morrison to handle. The striker’s initial shot was well saved by Martin, but Cox reacted well to tap home the rebound to hand the visitors the lead.

There were chances for Leicester before the break, firstly through Gilbert and then Fryatt, but both players were denied by some fine Swindon defending.

There was little to shout about for either side in the early stages of the second half, Dyer recording a feeble effort saved comfortable by Brezovan, before Paynter’s cross dropped wide.

An injury to Martin in the Leicester goal meant a first-team debut for 19 year-old Carl Pentney, replacing the on-loan Liverpool man in the 59th minute.

The home side came agonisingly close to a goal in the 66th minute when Michael Morrison rose highest to head Oakley’s corner, but the centre back’s effort rattled the crossbar. The defender was adjudged to have handled the ball in the process and was duly booked for his protests.

The disappointing Lloyd Dyer was replaced in the 67th minute by manager Nigel Pearson as Leicester looked to push for the elusive equaliser.

Berner was involved almost immediately when he charged down on a loose ball to cut it back for Kerrea Gilbert, who couldn’t manage to direct the ball goalbound.

Joe Mattock’s mistake in the 76th minute foolishly allowed Cox the opportunity to storm through the middle of Leicester’s defence, before releasing the ball to Robson-Kanu who couldn’t capitalise on the striker’s good work, forcing an excellent save from substitute Pentney.

Pearson made his final change in the 79th minute, academy graduate Ashley Chambers replacing Tom Cleverley as the Foxes went three up front to chase the qualiser.

Chambers’ impact was felt immediately as a looping effort from Fryatt was tipped over well by Brezovan for a Leicester corner.

There was more agonising moments for Leicester’s supporters from the resulting corner as Andy King headed onto the post, Leicester’s luck not seeming to be present on the day.

However, it was King who rescued the Foxes in the 86th minute when his finish with the outside of the foot beat Brezovan to save Leicester’s lengthy unbeaten run.

Despite Swindon’s late efforts for a second goal, it unfortunately wasn’t to be for them, denied cruelly by a late goal. It was certainly a noble effort by the visitors today, and one that their travelling 1,032 supporters will be proud of this evening.

For Leicester the late goal could be considered sweet revenge following the Robins’ two late goals in the reverse tie earlier in the season at the County Ground handed Swindon a 2-2 draw.

The draw cuts Leicester’s lead at the top of League One to 9 points, and drops Swindon down a place to 20th, perilously close to the relegation zone.

Leicester: Martin (Pentney 59), Gilbert, Morrison, Hobbs, Mattock, Oakley (c), Cleverley (Chambers 79), King, Dyer (Berner 67), Fryatt, Howard

Substitutes Not Used: Brown, Dickov

Swindon: Brezovan, J Smith, Vincent, Timlin, Ifil (c), Kanyuka, Amankwaah, Paynter, Robson-Kanu, Cox, Greer

Substitutes Not Used: P Smith, McNamee, Nalis, Razak, Lescinel

Yellow Cards: City: Morrison, Hobbs; Town: Timlin

Attendance: 19,926 (1,032 Away)


3 Replies to “Leicester 1-1 Swindon”

  • You have a fantastic forward line, but your flat back four looked a little bit wobbley most of the game. Good luck in the promotion race.

  • I was impressed with Swindon, they not only fought hard but they played well to go with it. I hope they get themselves out of this relegation fight soon.

    As for us, there’s no way we should be thinking the league is wrapped up yet, because it’s not. There’s still a long way to go yet, and we’re not playing the greatest at the moment.

Comments are closed.