Date: 22nd November 2009 at 2:10am
Written by: Halford572

A LAST-gasp Andy King strike snatched all three points and propelled the Foxes into third in the Championship table on Saturday afternoon, as they returned to winning ways after only their third defeat of the season last time out.

Nigel Pearson`s men knocked on the door throughout the contest, before the Welsh Under-21 skipper broke Plymouth hearts deep into stoppage time to cap off a superb week for the dynamic midfielder.

City made two changes from the side that slipped to defeat at the hands of table-toppers West Bromwich Albion with Yann Kermorgant making his second start and former Pilgrim Paul Gallagher returning to the fray at the expense of Dany N`Guessan and the suspended Matt Oakley.

Pearson handed the armband to Wayne Brown in Oakley`s absence and employed Kermorgant behind the strike partnership of Matty Fryatt and Martyn Waghorn. And it was the tall Frenchman who went close early on, rifling a 25-yard snap-shot narrowly over the cross bar.

Waghorn then sent Fryatt racing clean through, but the ten-goal striker couldn`t add to his tally and steered his shot wide.

Stand-in skipper Brown was then somewhat fortunate to escape with only a booking after a terrible mistimed lunge on Jamie Mackie after 20 minutes and Chris Weale, largely redundant between the sticks of the home side punched clear the resulting corner.

Normal service resumed shortly after as Fryatt latched onto Weale`s long kick and forced a corner, which Gallagher angled towards Wellens, who saw his left-footed drive beaten away by French keeper Romain Larrieu.

It was wave upon wave of pressure from the boys in blue and Gallagher was next to torment the visitors with a vicious, curling free-kick which was bundled onto his own bar by Kari Arnason under pressure from Kermorgant moments later.

Birthday boy Bruno Berner was the next to be denied by the clutches of the keeper and he was involved in some wonderful one-touch build-up down the left, which saw Waghorn`s centre just evade Fryatt.

Waghorn then sent a sumptuous free kick towards the back post, which Brown somehow headed straight at Larrieu the deadlock remained unbroken heading into the dressing room.

City started the second half purposely and it was Waghorn who looked the more sprightly, firstly attempting to hook a left-footed volley goalwards and then crashing a low 25-yard drive just the wrong side of the post either side of a tame header.

Fryatt then twisted and turned to provide an opening for himself, but he was superbly denied by the outstretched leg of Karl Duguid, before City`s appeals for a handball in the box fell on deaf ears.

N`Guessan was then introduced for his countryman Kermorgant with just over a quarter of an hour to play and he immediately glanced a header wide.

Argyle striker Mackie then raced through on goal and the home fans hearts were in their mouths when Brown appeared to have hauled down the front man, but referee Mr. McDermid adjudged that he had gone down to easily and brandished a booking for diving.

City continued in search of the elusive winner and it was N`Guessan again who looked the most likely as he cut inside from the right and drilled a low drive into the arms of Larrieu.

But Argyle`s resistance was finally broken in the third minute of stoppage time and they were denied a battling point, when N`Guessan`s shot was cleared off the line, only for King to prod home from close range.


One Reply to “Leicester 1-0 Plymouth”

  • leicester are proving a decent side in the championship and are signing some young and up and coming players like dany n’guessan from lincoln city

Comments are closed.