Date: 22nd August 2009 at 6:49pm
Written by:

Matty Fryatt’s second half goal gave Leicester a much deserved win against visitors Barnsley at the Walkers Stadium earlier today.

Fryatt scored his second goal in as many games to condemn Barnsley to their third defeat of the season, whilst helping to sustain Leicester’s unbeaten start to the campaign.

Nigel Pearson included new signing Paul Gallagher in the starting lineup following injuries to Steve Howard and Martyn Waghorn midweek, whilst there was also a starting berth for Lloyd Dyer at left wing ahead of Nicky Adams.

The first half was altogether a scrappy affair, with nether side possessing the desired quality in front of goal to break the deadlock.

Leicester began the game brightly, putting together some neat passing moves in and around the midfield. Lloyd Dyer came closest for either side when he beat two men before firing just wide of the post.

Matty Fryatt was looking sharper after his somewhat lacklustre start to the season (taking away the goals of course), and was nearly played in first by Gallagher, and then right back Robbie Neilson in the first half.

The score remained goal-less at half-time, a welcome opportunity for both managers to instill their words of wisdom into their respective sides. It was certainly the break that City needed as they came out a much better looking unit in the second half.

Some wonderful football from the home side was troubling Barnsley early doors, as Leicester gained a series of corners in the opening minutes of the half.

Soon enough they got their just rewards when Fryatt fired them ahead in the 53rd minute. Richie Wellens’ classy pass split through the middle of the Barnsley defence to allow Fryatt the opportunity to smash the ball home for the game’s opener.

And the Foxes didn’t let up afterwards as they continued to pepper Luke Steele’s goal with chances. All that was missing from the match were a few marshmallows and a fire as Leicester set up camp in the Barnsley half.

However, as Barnsley’s dogged resistance held firm they finally decided they wanted to come and play too. When they did pass the half-way line they looked menacing, new signing Emil Hallfredson particularly catching the eye.

Leicester’s normally reliable defence were looking uneasy as Barnsley attempted to find a route back into the game after the home side’s dominance. Jamal Campbell-Ryce’s low cross missed everybody, giving the home support some nervous moments.

New signing Paul Gallagher came close once again for Nigel Pearson’s men when his acrobatic effort on target was parried away by Steele for a corner.

Dany N’Guessan was making a nuisance of himself in the Barnsley penalty area, and City nearly had a second when a cross was failed to be dealt with under pressure from the former-Lincoln man. He soon had an effort of his own with a thunderous drive, which the Barnsley goalkeeper tipped brilliantly onto the crossbar.

Despite Barnsley’s late pressure City managed to hold firm to claim the win that they fully deserved. The final moments were certainly uncomfortable to watch, but the defence prevailed in the end. As for Barnsley, a season of struggle surely awaits.

Leicester: Weale; Neilson, Hobbs, Brown, Berner, N’Guessan, Oakley, Wellens, Dyer, Fryatt, Gallagher. Subs: Logan, Morrison, Tunchev, Gradel, A King (80 for Gallagher), Adams (64 for Dyer), Dickov (86 for Fryatt).

Barnsley: Steele; Hassell, El Haimour, Foster, Moore, Devaney, De Silva, Hallfredson, Campbell-Ryce,Hume, Gray. Subs: Preece, Macken, Odejayi, Hammill, Butterfield, Potter, Kozluk (22 for Hassell).

Referee: A Penn