Date: 11th September 2010 at 8:33pm
Written by:

Paulo Sousa was left to lament his side’s poor finishing as Leicester could only muster a point away at local rivals Coventry.

Despite dominating much of the game, City were bailed out by an excellent Andy King goal 15 minutes from time after Clive Platt had put the hosts ahead in the first half.

Coventry were poor throughout the encounter, and will undoubtedly be happy with the game’s result despite having all three points within sight.

For Leicester it means that their first Championship victory of the campaign remains elusive, but yet again there were encouraging signs that things will get better.

Sousa handed a start to new signing Martyn Waghorn up front, while goalkeeper Carl Ikeme made his first team debut between the sticks at the Ricoh Arena.


Neilson — Morrison — Hobbs — Berner

Wellens — Oakley — King

Waghorn — Fryatt — Dyer

Coventry welcomed their biggest home crowd of the campaign for the game, which included just over 4,000 of the travelling Blue Army.

The Sky Blues had made a solid start to the Championship season prior to the game, and found their luck was in five minutes before half time when they opened the scoring.

Leicester midfielder Richie Wellens was caught in possession in the middle of the park, from which Coventry swept upfield to allow Clive Platt the task of heading home from Michael McIndoe’s cross.

It was a blow to Leicester who had controlled much of the first period without avail.

In the second half it was Martyn Waghorn who came closest to levelling things up when his header clipped the post. But eventually pressure told, and City had their equaliser.

And a worthy leveller it was too. Lloyd Dyer slipped the ball through to midfielder Andy King, who slipped his marker before delivering a sublime chip over goalkeeper Keiren Westwood.

King’s second league goal of the season was a timely reminder to Sousa, who had benched the young starlet for City’s last two fixtures.

From there on in there was only one side ever in for a late winner, but sadly for the Foxes a point apiece was the final outcome.

Sousa once again felt hard done by the result, but conceded that a lack of finishing from his side was to blame.

“It is possible when you dominate the whole game and allow the opposition only two strikes on target and they score one goal,” he said. “In the second half I don’t remember one shot.

“We created chances to win but football is like that and we need to be more clinical. But we also need to keep the outstanding quality of performance we made on the day.”

The result leaves Leicester just one place off the bottom of the table, facing a tough clash against Cardiff at the Walkers on Tuesday.

The team will no doubt be reflecting on what was two points dropped on the afternoon, but should go into Tuesday’s match in reasonable spirits after an encouraging display.

Lady luck may not be smiling upon Sousa right now, but that first win will arrive soon and should be the kick-start needed to revive a more than capable squad.