Date: 14th December 2008 at 6:14pm
Written by:

Leicester battled back from a goal down at half-time to take all three points at Brunton Park via goals from Andy King and Bruno Berner.

The Foxes had found themselves reeling at the break following a first half blow from Carlisle forward Danny Graham, but second half strikes from Andy King and then Berner secured the win that keeps Leicester at the top of League One.

It was altogether a frustrating game for both sides, cancelling each other out for much of the game. This meant that clear cut chances were few and far between, highlighted by both sides’ three shots on target each.

Foxes boss Nigel Pearson had one forced change to make prior to the match, with the injured Aleksander Tunchev replaced by youngster Michael Morrison at centre back.

It was Carlisle who had the game’s first chance, when Graham capitalised on some poor defending from Jack Hobbs to race through on goal. Fortunately for the Foxes, right back Kerrea Gilbert was on close guard to make a superb challenge to deny the striker.

Leicester striker Matty Fryatt was hunting for his third successive hat-trick, and came close ten minutes later. The forward worked himself into a good position, but couldn’t make it past Carlisle centre-back Danny Livesey who managed to shepherd the ball to safety.

Chances were becoming increasingly difficult for both sides to come by, but Carlisle found the break-through on 27 minutes courtesy of Danny Graham. The striker latched onto a header through the heart of the Foxes’ defence and tapped the ball past the oncoming goalkeeper David Martin to put the home side a goal to the good.

Leicester tried to find a way back into the game, and it was Fryatt who tried to conjure up something up for team, but could only divert his shot past Tim Krul’s post.

The striker came close again soon afterwards when he forced a goal-bound shot which was well blocked by Liddle in Carlisle’s defence.

With Graham’s goal seperating the two sides at half-time, manager Nigel Pearson had some work to do to rally his side to turn around the defecit.

His words of encouragement sparked Leicester into a new life at the beginning of the second period, and the away side had the half’s first chance. The ever dangerous Fryatt saw his effort superbly saved by Krul in the Carlisle goal, and this was followed by a shot from Matt Oakley which found its way unfortuitously over the bar.

Pearson decided to make his first change of the game with 56 minutes played when Mark Davies, on loan from Wolves, replaced veteran left back Chris Powell as Bruno Berner moved to left back.

Carlisle striker Michael Bridges could have put his side two goals up when he found himself with a shot at goal, but goalkeeper David Martin was there to make a fine stop to keep his side in it.

Leicester were thanking their ‘keeper on loan from Liverpool just moments later when Andy King sent the ball home to equalise for Leicester. Lloyd Dyer’s timely layoff following great work from Howard found its way to the oncoming King who unleashed his shot past Krul into the net.

The home fans were cursing their luck just minutes later when Leicester took the lead on 69 minutes. A Leicester corner found its way to Steve Howard, who provided, this time for Berner to send home from close range to give the Foxes the lead.

Carlisle pushed for an equaliser, and came close in the 83rd minute through Bridges again, but the striker had to watch his effort fall agonosingly wide of the upright.

Leicester managed to hang on for a fifth successive win that keeps them at the top of League One, two points ahead of Millwall, whose late goal sees them keep within touching distance of the Foxes.

City: Martin, Gilbert, Hobbs, Morrison, Powell (Davies 56), Oakley, King, Berner, Dyer, Howard, Fryatt (Adams 90).

Subs not used: Cisak, Edworthy, Dickov.

Yellow: Davies

Carlisle: Krul, Raven, Livesey, Graham (Madine 75), Thirlwell (Bridge-Wilkinson 46), Taylor, Bridges, Keogh, Kavanagh, Liddle, Smith (Hackney 69).

Subs not used: Williams, Birchall.

Yellow: Bridges, Taylor.


One Reply to “Carlise 1-2 Leicester”

Comments are closed.